"We use the US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program
because it produces excellent players and it does a great deal of our work for us. Players develop through the US Youth Soccer ODP process by continually being placed in a more competitive environment. The Under-17 Men's National Team has always and will continue to evaluate players through US Youth Soccer ODP."
John Hackworth, Under-17 Men's National Team Head Coach
FSC strongly supports the North Carolina Olympic Development Program (ODP). The program is primarily for elite level players playing within NCYSA. FSC has had players selected for State, Region and national pools.
The US Youth Soccer/NC Youth Soccer Association Olympic Development Program PhilosophyThe Olympic Development Program Provides Superior Benefits
The Olympic Development Program is designed to identify players of the highest caliber on a continuing and consistent basis for the purposes of developing their skills and abilities; and creating sustained success for the U.S. National Teams in the International arena.
The Olympic Development Program is an integrated and comprehensive approach that provides benefits superior to other elite player concepts:
- Focus upon the individual player
- Development of the individual player is enhanced as he or she trains and plays against the best players in his or her age group
- Development of the individual player is enhanced because he or she must learn to adjust to varying groups of teammates. This requires the player to respond to the varying styles, strengths, weaknesses and abilities of the other elite players, rather than becoming dependent on habits of a fixed group
- The highest quality of competition against the best of the best drawn from entire state rather than one or two associations
- Exposure to regional and national team coaches
- Exposure to college coaches within the environment of the highest quality competition
- The opportunity to represent our state, our region and our nation in domestic and international competitions
How Are Players Selected?
Players are selected in North Carolina on the basis of open tryouts conducted by the NC Youth Soccer Association State Coaches and experienced college and club coaches, selected by the Olympic Development Program, who are recognized for their abilities to identify and train players with superior abilities. Players can also be invited into the ODP program if they are scouted and identified by our extensive ODP staff and scouts.
Selection of Olympic Development Program players is not an easy task. Players are evaluated on the four components that make up a soccer player:
3. Fitness and Athletic Ability
4. Psychological Component (attitude/desire for excellence)
What are Regional Camps?
US Youth Soccer is divided into four Regions. Each offers a Regional Camp for ODP participants in each eligible age group. The camps are designed to develop these elite players through high-level competition and training. During this training and competition, players who are capable of performing at the highest level of play are identified for possible National team camp, pool, or team participation. The specifics, as well as the cost, of these Regional camps, NCYSA will provide to those that will participate.
What is a National Camp?
National Camps and Interregional events are held throughout the year at various locations in the United States. The National Team Coach or a National Staff Coach is present at these events to observe, train, and identify players for placement in the National pool or on a National team.
How Can I Learn More?
NC Youth Soccer Association is committed to providing the highest quality Olympic Development Program at the lowest possible cost and with fully informed parents and players. Additional information can be found at www.ncsoccer.org.
ODP Calendar 2014-2015
ODP Parent Pack